Friday, October 4, 2013

Foodie Friday: Butternut Squash Muffins

These are my favorite muffins. They are so yummy right out of the oven. They freeze well, so I usually make a double batch. If you like pumpkin, you'll probably enjoy these. Perfect for fall!

Butternut Squash Muffins

(makes about 3 dozen mini muffins)

Ingredients
butternut squash (1 lb or 1 cup of cooked and pureed squash)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp butter, melted

To make your own pumpkin pie spice, you can mix these ground spices:
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cut the ends off the butternut squash, then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and pulp. Rub a bit of olive oil on the exposed squash to keep it from burning in the oven. Lay cut-side down on a baking pan. I line it with foil for easy clean up later.
 Bake the squash for 1 hour or until soft.



Once cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh of the squash. Puree until smooth in a food processor. You only need one cup of puree.

In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice).


Measure out the milk and beat the eggs into the milk. While stirring, slowly add the melted butter. Mix in the butternut squash.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir just until incorporated. Don't over mix it.







You can use baking cups or grease a muffin pan with baking spray. I prefer mini muffins, but you can make regular size ones as well.

For mini muffins, bake for 13 minutes at 350. For regular size muffins, bake about 17-20 mins.
Cool on a baking rack.

Enjoy! 

To freeze, wrap them in plastic wrap, then put in a plastic bag (protects them from frost). For best results in reheating, microwave for 30-45 seconds. You can also let them thaw at room temperature.

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They don't last long here! I put them on the table next to my husband to cool and next thing I know, half of them were gone! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh these look fantastic! I normally avoid squash but not b/c I don't like it but b/c it's SO HARD to cut! LOL...I'm a lightweight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I have the same fears! I normally sharpen my knife right before and hope that it works. Heaven help me if the knife gets stuck though! ;)

      Delete
  3. Yummy! These look absolutely incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great. Have you ever tried these with sweet potato instead of squash?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, You have one egg in the ingredient list and two eggs in the picture? Which one is correct?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Save yourself time and buy the frozen already diced squash. Also added carrot to mine... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned to microwave the whole squash about 3 minutes or until the squash can be cut easily with a sharp knife. No more frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned to microwave the whole squash about 3 minutes or until the squash can be cut easily with a sharp knife. No more frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids and I love these muffins...my husband too :) I made a couple vegan adjustments and they still come out moist, fluffy, and not too sweet!

    1 cup AP flour and 1/2 cup almond flour
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 flax egg

    I rarely have pumpkin pie spice, so I just use 2 tsp cinnamon and the spice is just right!

    ReplyDelete