Monday, February 29, 2016

Friday Five: Things I've Learned From My Newborn

 ~ Friday Five: Things I've Learned From My Newborn ~


1. The human body can adapt to new situations very quickly.

Like the amount of sleep needed to function. I'm pretty sure I logged more hours sleeping during my last week of pregnancy than the 3 weeks at home with the little guy. I am still functioning (thank you coffee!), but I am surprisingly not as tired as I thought I would be. I'll still have my moments of exhaustion, but there's something about the cries of a baby that get the adrenaline pumping.




2. Breast feeding is hard. Seriously.

I'm sure you've heard it before, but I really want to reiterate how hard it can be. I always took the difficulty with a grain of salt- after all, breast feeding is one of the most natural things, so it can't be THAT hard, can it? For the moms out there who struggle, I hear ya. You're not alone.

I'm not off to a great start- my milk didn't come in until day 6, baby was jaundiced and had to spend some time in the NICU, he had to be supplemented with formula because he lost too much weight, and his latch wasn't very good. Between all of these hurdles it has been really hard. Lots of tears have been shed- my poor husband has woken up to both me and baby crying in the middle of the night. I desperately want this to work, so I'm seeing a lactation consultant. Please think positive thoughts that things improve!



Don't be fooled- this peaceful face is not the norm.

3. Babies are noisy.

This surprised me the most. The little guy grunts and groans in his sleep (hello gassiness) and it freaks me out. I hover over him wondering if everything is ok. On the flip side, when he's really quiet, that also freaks me out. *sigh* I wish there was a happy medium. ;)



Grandparents selfie

4. It takes a village.

We have had so much support from friends and family this past month and their help has been priceless. They've brought food, both frozen and cooked, and even come over to watch the baby so I could sleep for a couple hours and shower. I really don't know what I would have done. Probably eat dry cereal for 3 meals a day. 



5. You can love something more than you ever thought possible, even when it pees on you.

I'm losing track of the number of times baby has peed on me, but I still love the little guy!  Motherhood has been a crazy adventure so far, but it's been worth every moment. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment