Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Training Tuesday: Marathon on my Mind


Now that I've completed both the Wine & Dine half and the Avengers half, the next race on my schedule is the full marathon at WDW in January. And I just realized I have less than 5 weeks left until the big race.

WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN?!??!

According to my training schedule, I should be up to 20 mile long run... That has not happened yet. At this point, I am genuinely concerned that I'll DNF the full. :/

Not prioritizing my training has really come back to bite me in the butt. Or rather my hip. It all started after I came home from Disneyland after running the Avengers Half. I woke up in the middle of the night with this intense burning pain in my hip. It radiated down my leg to my knee and even up to my shoulder. After writhing in pain for a couple hours, I finally took some Motrin and was able to sleep. 

I've had hip pain before, on the outside right near the joint, and it would flare up when I was running much more frequently. I'm guessing that running W&D and Avengers only a week apart with poor training beforehand, put too much stress and overuse on my hip. 

With the full marathon just around the corner, I've been trying to jump back on the training bandwagon. I did 9 miles the week after Avengers, but had to call it quits the following weekend after just 4 miles. 

A very wet and rainy 9 miles. Fitting since I wore my Wine & Dine shirt.


I did a little research and after a some self-diagnosis, I think I may have hip bursitis or hip tendonitis. I wouldn't be surprised by tendonitis since I also get it in my wrists from overuse. 

This past weekend I took a different approach to the long run. I started off at a slower pace and walked the moment my hip tightened up and started to hurt. About 3 miles in, I was able to run non-stop with no pain and I did a total of 11 miles! I know the 22 miler I have scheduled this weekend is out of the question; at this point I'm just going to go as far as I can and see what happens.

Views along the 11 mile run.


This isn't how I planned to prepare for the full and I'll be honest- I just didn't make the time to train for it. But I'm still going to go out there and do what I can.



Has your training every gone completely south? Were you able to get back on track?

2 comments:

  1. I can sympathize with you. I definitely have hip bursitis and the best thing is to get a cortisone shot. It will help the swelling start to go down. My training has gone south since las vegas. I didn't get my 20 mile run in and the most I have done was 15. It's not because I am being lazy but I just can't seem to get past 10 miles with out the pinching in the back of my knees. Hang in there and keep stretching and strength training. Email or text me if you want to talk more. -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I'm trying to avoid a cortisone shot, mostly because I know the injury is from overuse and once the race is over, it *should* work itself out. I hope your training has improved since this. :)

      Delete