Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Training Tuesday: Longest Run before the WDW Marathon


The final countdown has begun! We are less than 3 weeks away from the WDW Marathon weekend!

I will be attempting the full marathon and I say "attempting" because my training has been less than stellar and whether I'll finish it or not is up in the air. I've been battling hip pain and now what I'm assuming is ITBS. All from a lack of gradual consistent training.

But all hope is not lost! I've been doing a lot of stretching, strength training, and yoga during the week and running only once for my long run. On the long run, I take it slow and do 1/2 mile intervals for the first couple miles. My leg seems to do better when it gets a little warm up first. This weekend I completed my longest run- 17.8 miles (I was too hungry by the end to bother with that last .2) !



I took a new path today- this is the Bay Trail that runs along the inside of the SF Bay.

Motivation found along the way.

A bridge and a fluffy cat!

This was around mile 13. Definitely needed!

I did a double take reading the second sign. :)

All in all, it was a good run and I'm happy with it. I finished pain-free, aside from the usual soreness of a run of that distance. I taped my knee with KT tape and it really helped. With the pace I had for this long run, I know I could potentially walk the rest of it and still be within the time limit. That said, if my knee starts really hurting, I physically won't be able to walk another 8 miles. So until then, lots and lots of stretching!

Will you be at the WDW Marathon weekend? How is your training going?

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a successful long run! It's amazing what a little determination can do. You may not like your time on race day, but I believe you WILL finish!

    I won't be running at WDW Marathon weekend, but I will be running at the inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon weekend. I'm super excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty amazed that I actually did it! At this point, any time is a good time for me. :) Thank you for the encouragement!

      So jealous that you're running Star Wars! The medals look great!

      Delete
  2. I love the motivation comments you saw along the way. I can't believe the marathon is almost here! -M

    ReplyDelete