Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Training Tuesdays

Welcome to the first post of my Training Tuesdays! Every Tuesday I'll share about how the previous week's training went and what's next for my training plan. I welcome you to follow along and share your own progress with your training. For me, I'll be posting about my training for the Dumbo Double Dare (see my next post for the actual training plan I created). 


As you know, I'm running the Disneyland Half Marathon for the 3rd time in September. This year will be a bit different as I'm doing the Dumbo Double Dare Challenge, which involves running the 10k (6.2 miles) on Saturday and then the half marathon (13.1 miles) on Sunday.

In past years, training would involve a few short runs to improve my pace during the week and then a long run for distance on Sundays. Obviously this year will be different since I have to be able to run back to back days. Dearest and I are planning to make the 10k more of a fun run (we're running in costume) and take the half more seriously. I'm aiming to shave about 15 minutes off my previous time and finish in under 2:10.

In planning my training, I looked at Jeff Galloway's (the creator of the official runDisney training programs) Goofy Challenge plan, which trains you to run a half marathon and then a full the next day. My plan was to just cut all the distances in half since Dumbo is essentially half the Goofy. Unfortunately, I felt that the distances would be too short and I would feel unprepared.

In the end, I took my previous training plans and Jeff Galloway's timing for the Sat/Sun back to back runs to create a plan I feel will prepare me for the distance while also improving my speed and help me achieve the PR I want. :)


All that said, lets get on to our Training Tuesday!

Previous Week
Tuesday: 2 mile run
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: 2 mile run
Friday: rest
Saturday: 3 mile run
Sunday: (got lazy and skipped a short run)
Monday: rest

This Week / T-23 Weeks until the Run
Tuesday: 2 mile run
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: 30 Day Shred 
Friday: 3 mile run
Saturday: rest
Sunday: 4 mile run
Monday: rest
I do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred to supplement all the running. In a quick 20 minutes, I get enough of an upper body workout to sustain my muscle strength and a good kick of cardio to start my morning.

What's on your workout agenda this week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment